TSRC's research helps to inform policy development, whilst making the policy process itself the subject of critical review.
Theoretical analysis of the sector is important in underpinning our understanding of what the sector is and how it works. TSRC helps ensure that difficult theoretical issues are articulated and explored. This strong theoretical and conceptual analysis of the sector and policy helps to inform all of the Centre's research.
Critical understanding of the policy environment for the sector is also essential, as it determines much of what happens within the sector. We need to know ‘what works’, but we also need to understand who decides ‘what matters’.
- What is the third sector – can we define or describe it?
- How is third sector policy changing?
- Who are the key policy actors?
- How do policy-makers decide what matters?
- How should practice respond to policy change?
Our current theory and policy work includes the following topics:
Pete Alcock – Director and research lead
Angela Ellis Paine